FAQ Law programmes

Frequently asked questions about the admission procedure

Can I send the documents by email?

No. Pursuant to Dutch law, the documents must be submitted by regular mail and can only be accepted in hard copies.

What address should I send the application documents to?

The application documents must be sent as hard copies to:

University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam Law School
Admissions Office 
Oudemanhuispoort 4-6
1012 CN Amsterdam
The Netherlands

I cannot upload the copy of my passport.

...and I receive a message 'zero file'.  In that case, try uploading the document using a different browser.

Can EU applicants send a copy of their identity card?

A copy (both front and back) of an EU identity card will suffice. However, no other national identity card will suffice.

What is a certified copy?

A certified copy does NOT mean a plain photocopy. A certified copy is a duplicate verified to be a true and faithful copy of an original by an authorized signatory such as a notary public. 

When you graduated you may have received a certified copy from your school: a copy with stamps and signatures on it. In order for us to process your application, we need a certified copy of your diploma and transcript of records so that we know you did graduate from your school. Please note: a copy of the certified copy is no longer a certified copy!

Who can certify the copy of my degree certificate?

In most cases, the school where you received your degree certificate will be able to provide a certified copy of the documents for you. In other cases, for example if you live abroad or your school no longer exists, it can be a bit more complicated. A notary public will usually be able to assist you with this issue.

What is the application deadline for scholarships?

We need to have received your application documents before:

  • 15 January for an Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship
  • 1 April for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship,  Orange Tulip Scholarship or Netherlands Fellowship programme

Can I apply for more than one scholarship?

You may apply for more than one scholarship. Indicate this on your application form.

Can the English language proficiency test be waived?

You may request a waiver from the English language proficiency test requirement if you are either a native English speaker or have successfully completed an English-taught Bachelor's programme. In either case, the requested waiver will not be granted automatically; each application will be assessed on its own merits.

May I send in the IELTS/TOEFL/CAE/CPE test results after the deadline?

Yes, you may, provided that all other documents and the application fee have been received prior to the deadline.

How do I pay the administrative fee?

The administrative fee should be transferred to the following account:

Deutsche Bank
Account no.
Faculty of Law
Amsterdam Law School,
1000 BA Amsterdam
IBAN no: NL69DEUT0509095402

How can I register as a student at the University of Amsterdam?

Once you have been admitted to a Master’s programme at the Amsterdam Law School, you will receive information by email from the UvA Student Services Department on how to complete your registration and, where applicable, how to apply for a visa or residence permit. The Amsterdam Law School will send you an email with information about the application procedure for a UvA student room.

How can I pay the tuition fee?

You can find detailed information on the payment of the tuition fee via the link below. 

Published by  Faculty of Law

10 October 2018