Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS)
Amsterdam Law School
The Faculty of Law - Amsterdam Law School - aims to attract talented students to its LLM programmes. Amsterdam Merit Scholarships are available for those who completed their LLB degree with flying colours.
On this page:
Applications must be received before April 1, 2018 with respect to scholarships for the academic year 2018-2019.
Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship when they meet the following criteria:
- They have completed an LLB degree with an average grade of 7.5 (on a scale from 1-10) and been admitted to one of the Amsterdam Law School's LLM programmes.
- No more than five years have elapsed between obtaining the LLB degree and starting the LLM programme.
- They have not already obtained an LLM or any other master degree at the University of Amsterdam, and have not been granted another scholarship.
The eligibility assessment will be made on the basis of an AMS motivation letter, grade point average, resume, motivation letter and letters of reference regarding your academic qualities.
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of scholarships that can be awarded, only the most outstanding candidates will be awarded a scholarship.
Only students who are admitted to one of the LLM programmes of the Amsterdam Law School can be awarded a scholarship. Students will be selected on the basis of academic merit. Decisions will be made in May/June 2017. Applicants will be informed before July 1, 2018.
How to apply?
Applicants should write an AMS motivation letter describing in no more than 500 words their motivation to receive the scholarship. This letter should be accompanied by the other required application documents:
- Printed version of the completed online application form
- Certified copy of university transcript including grades
- Certified copy of university diploma
- Evidence of English proficiency
- Two letters of reference written by a dean, teacher or academic supervisor
- AMS motivation letter
- Curriculum vitae
Hard copies of the above mentioned documents must be sent to:
University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam Law School
P.O. Box 1030
NL-1000 BA Amsterdam
The scholarship consists of either €6,000, € 9,000 or € 12,000. In the first month of study - September 2018 - the student will be paid €1000. The remainder of the scholarship will be paid in 12 monthly instalments.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships are only awarded to applicants who are admitted to one of the LLM programmes of the Faculty of Law - Amsterdam Law School.
- Scholarships granted for the academic year 2018-2019 cannot be transferred to another academic year. Failing to enrol in the LLM programme to which the applicant has been admitted when the programme starts in September 2016 will result in forfeiture of the scholarship.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships are not available to those who have been granted another full scholarship.
- Students who are awarded an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship are expected to complete the LLM programme to which they have been admitted within one year (30 EC per semester) and otherwise maintain good academic standing. The scholarship may be terminated when the student does not obtain 30 EC in the first semester.
- Students who are granted an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship are required to assent to the conditions attached to the scholarship in writing prior the grant of the scholarship.
The Scholarship for two-year Research Master's programmes
Students enrolled in the Research Master who are granted a Merit Scholarship will be evaluated after one year of study. If the student has 50 EC on August 1, and a positive recommendation from the coordinator of the programme, the scholarship will be continued for one more year.
Specific questions may be sent via email to the International Office of the Amsterdam Law School.